I graduated from Durham University in 2013 with a BA in Modern Languages, including modules in Spanish, Russian and Arabic. I studied modules in Hispanic Literature and Russian History, specialising in linguistics. I have extensive experience working with young people, ranging from toddlers to age 18. I have experience in one-to-one tutoring for GCSE/A-Level, working in a secondary school as a teaching assistant and supporting pupils with SEN/EAL, have organised voluntary projects (a homework club for the children of international students, a music group in a primary school and working in a nursery). I work full-time as a private tutor, teaching around 16 private students each week, as well as running catch-up sessions in schools and working with children who are not in school.
In terms of one-to-one tutoring work, I have around 5000 hours experience, gained over a period of 8 years and in a variety of situations, ranging from one-to-one tutoring in preparation for GCSE and A-Level exams, to tutoring English as a foreign language abroad. I currently have a variety of clients with children between the ages of 3 and 18, as well as working with adults. I also work with children and teenagers who have been excluded from school or are struggling to learn in a school environment.
I am friendly and encouraging and believe that tutoring should be about more than just academic skills and knowledge. I think an essential part of tutoring should be raising a child's self-confidence. If they believe that they are able to achieve their aims and trust their tutor to help them to do this, then tutoring should have a very high success rate.
If you do not see the slot that you want on my availability, please get in contact anyway as I do sometimes have slots that are not shown.
- French KS3, GCSE, AS and A Level
- French for 13+ entrance exams, scholarship exams and Common Entrance
- Spanish KS3, GCSE, AS and A Level
- Biology GCSE and A Level
- KS3 English and Maths
- 11+ entrance exams
- KS2 English and Maths and SATs
- KS1 Literacy and Numeracy
- EFL (both in England and abroad)
- Helping struggling readers in KS2 and KS3. I have been particularly successful in helping to increase reading ages. I also am confident in stretching children who are ahead of the expected level in reading.
- Spanish and French at GCSE and A Level
- Stretching bright children in KS1
• “Helen makes her students work hard, but at the same time they thoroughly enjoy their lessons with her.” - Former employer whilst teaching English in Madrid
• “My Biology result was an A which I am over the moon with and means that I got into my top choice university!” - Former tutee