A few highlights from 2017 so far:
- One of my students has been awarded a place at Forest School for 13+
- A student averaging a U in AS Level Maths, achieved a high C after two months of lessons.
- A student averaging a low D in GCSE Spanish achieved a comfortable B grade.
- A KS3 Maths student averaging a borderline level 3 achieved a level 6 in his end of year exams.
I am a full time private tutor. For your peace of mind, I am Security Cleared and hold a DBS certificate.
My academic record is as follows:
- B.Sc Economics with Spanish (66% average) – University of Birmingham
- Economics dissertation: "“The Urban-Rural Income Gap in China - Does Healthcare Expenditure Matter?” Grade: First Class Honours (76%).
- High A in both A level Mathematics and Spanish.
- High A* in both GCSE Mathematics and Spanish.
- Received an award for achieving 100% in my GCSE Spanish and subsequently coming top 10 in the UK out of over 15,000 exam entries.
I come from a family of linguists and so have a strong interest in languages - I speak English, Gujarati and Spanish fluently and currently have conversational Italian and a working knowledge of Hindi. As part of my degree I spent a year abroad studying Economics in Spanish at the Universidad de Granada (Spain). This experience has allowed me to reach a C1 level as set out by the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFRL). In addition, I have completed the following Spanish courses:
“Curso de Español como lengua extranjera (60 horas)”. “Spanish as a foreign language (60 hours)”. Level B2.2 (Higher Advanced). Grade 9/10. Location: Granada.
“Lengua y civilización española (25 horas)”. “Spanish language and civilisation (25 hours)”. Level B1 (Intermediate). Grade average 9/10. Location: Madrid.
Reasons to choose me as your tutor:
1. I limit my students to ensure I maintain my teaching quality across all students. This is evidenced by my reviews thus far.
2. I tell you exactly which books are worth purchasing to boost your knowledge and hence save you the time and stress of searching and contemplating.
3. I have unrivalled patience and can boost my students’ confidence in a subject.
4. I provide honest advice and feedback throughout.
5. I monitor the progress and learning objectives of my students to ensure they are maximising their potential.
6. I am a punctual and reliable individual.
I have been tutoring full time since September 2016 and have taught a number of students GCSE and A-level Spanish, KS3, GCSE and A-Level Maths and A-Level Economics.
I am currently preparing several students for upcoming 11+ entrance exams (Maths and Non-verbal) at top schools such as Forest, Bancrofts, City of London boys, Westcliff and Woodford County High School.
Spanish: My lessons are creative, involve plenty of exercises, vocabulary drills and strengthening grammar overall as in my view this is the backbone to learning a language. Oral discussions are formed from Spanish newspaper articles or from the key topics in the textbook. Homework is set to reinforce the key points learned in class. Lastly, I focus on exam technique as this is crucial to attaining the highest marks.
Maths and Economics: My lessons involve going through all topics in the exam syllabus, learning the necessary theory and reinforcing the students' understanding through an abundance of questions. Homework will also be exercises which will aid their understanding. As the exam date approaches, I focus on past papers to ensure they are entering their exam as ready as one can be. I have always set the bar high and ensure my students extract the most out of their potential. Please note that I cover all exam boards for all subjects (OCR, Edexcel, AQA, OCR MEI etc.).
From my experience throughout school and university, I have noticed the prospect of learning a foreign language or challenging subjects in general can be daunting and students often have low confidence levels as a result. I would like to share with you the techniques that I followed to achieve these high marks whilst making the learning experience thoroughly enjoyable. I always set the bar high to ensure my students maximise their potential. Lastly, I offer out of contact hours assistance should my students have any queries regarding the exercises set or otherwise.
Reviews from other tutoring websites:
1. Kwai (GCSE Spanish): 5/5 "Devan is an excellent, reliable and passionate Spanish Tutor. He is accommodating and flexible with his time, my son is doing his GCSE Spanish and he said, he has leant and benefited from Devan's teaching. Thank you Devan!"
2. Ellie (A-level Spanish): 5/5 "Finally found a brilliant Spanish tutor who is easy to get along with and has very good teaching methods. I would highly recommend".
3. Andria (Secondary Maths): 5/5 "My son has had a few sessions now and is enjoying the maths lessons and engages really well with Devan. A very good teacher who has recognised and is helping to work on building my son's confidence. We made a good choice!"
4. Lydia (Primary Entrance Exams): 5/5 "Mya is enjoying her lessons with Dev. Mya is always looking forward to the next lesson as she now has a more confident approach to Maths. Dev is very reliable, patient and knowledgeable in his subject".
5. Milesh (A-level Economics): 5/5 "Tutor is very professional and his subject knowledge is excellent. Provided an excellent initial lesson and quickly identified or requirements".
6. Natasha (GCSE Maths): 5/5 "Dev is reliable and approaches his teaching by individual needs. He speaks very clearly engaging well in his teaching approach. My son feels alot better and enjoys his lessons… which that in itself speaks volumes. I will be using dev again when it's my daughters turn. Would highly recommend".
7. Alex (Secondary Spanish): 5/5 "Dev has been an absolute joy. He is reliable and enthusiastic, always arriving on time and being well prepared. He has made my son's lessons in Spanish fun and instructive at the same time. Dev is also very flexible and understands that we sometimes need to change from our routine. He will always accommodate these changes without any fuss. My son's Spanish has come up well thanks to Dev. I thoroughly recommend Dev as a tutor".
8. Ang (Secondary Maths): 5/5 "Structured & methodical approach to tutoring. Knows his subject! Has very quickly established a rapport with my child which in turn has increased her confidence and enthusiasm for the subject .This is reflected now in her performance. Very pleased with Dev and have no hesitation in recommending him".
9. Sue (A-Level Spanish): 5/5 "Devan is an excellent tutor and really knows his subject - a real find! He is also really kind and friendly and will do anything to help. Thanks Devan".
10. Catherine (GCSE Maths): 5/5 "I thoroughly recommend Devan. He is a bright, talented teacher and has made a huge difference to my daughter's preparation for her GCSE maths exams. He has clearly and calmly explained some difficult and complicated aspects of the curriculum in a way that has really embedded her understanding and learning. Dev is a kind, down-to-earth person and my daughter felt very comfortable and relaxed in his company. He was always on time and polite and respectful in our home".
11. Joanne (A-Level Maths): 5/5 "Dev helped my son achieve a C in his Maths A'level (AS), after my son was graded a U in his mock exam a few weeks earlier.
Dev was extremely calm and patient. He always arrived promptly for their sessions. He really helped my son gain confidence over a 2 month period and as a result we have lined up additional sessions for my son's final year at 6th form. I cannot rate Dev highly enough".