I teach English Language & Literature, plus Ancient History!
Hello! I'm Ciar, a friendly and professional 27 year old graduate English tutor.
I will prepare you to excel in school entrance, GCSE, A Level or undergraduate exams, or boost your term-time grades and all-round ability. Most of all, I can help you start to really enjoy reading, writing and critical thinking.
If Ancient History is your thing, I can teach you that too!
I will work with you according to your syllabus and help you identify your areas for improvement. Together we will build your understanding and knowledge of the subject, and give you the written & oral skills to show off your amazing new knowledge.
When you're confident and happy with your core syllabus, we can even start looking at extra texts and authors to turn your good work into great work!
Here are just a few of the things I can help you with:
* Grammar & style.
* Literature, comprehension and interpretation.
* Essay composition, building a compelling argument.
* Creative writing.
* Shakespeare, drama and poetry.
* Authors and genres from medieval era - modern day.
* British, American, Irish, African, and Australian authors.
* Criticism and contextualisation (comparative criticism, historicism, Marxism, post-colonialism, structuralism, feminism, etc.)
What qualifies me to be your tutor?
- I have been privately tutoring friends & family to great results since I was 16 years old :-)
- A lifelong passion for the subject: I am a compulsive bookworm, writer, and critic! In addition to English, I have studied Latin, Ancient Greek and French literature and language. This gives me a comprehensive understanding of grammar and literary context, and means I can offer you truly rounded insights on your studies.
- I excelled in a four-year degree in English and Ancient History from the most prestigious university in Ireland, Trinity College Dublin. I earned a First Class (1.1) grade for English, and a 2.1 for Ancient History and Archaeology. I also earned the Entrance Exhibition Award Scholarship in 2009.
- I have excelled at every level of education, especially in English Literature and Language. I was awarded a Distinction in the Advanced Extension Award in English in 2008, as well as top grades in English Literature/Language at A-levels & GCSE. As a pre-GCSE student I was also awarded a special academic scholarship, based mainly on my English submissions, by Alleyn's School (well known for its fantastic English & Drama reputation).
I would love to help you achieve your goals and desired grades - send me a message and let's meet!