Mary I Song
December 01, 2015
This is the link to a song about Mary I, also known as Bloody Mary or Mary Tudor (but NOT Mary Queen of Scots who, as the video points out). It's good fun and links in well with the 13+ History Common Entrance exam, which has Mary I and her reign as one of its key topics for the 'Making of Modern Britain: 1485-1750' period. Many of my history students have loved it.
The video is very accurate and refers to many of the key points of her reign which could be elaborated on in a tutorial, such as:
- Her family background as daughter of Henry VIII.
- Her accession to the throne and execution of Lady Jane Grey.
- Marriage to Philip II of Spain.
- Efforts to impose Catholicism on England and persecution of Protestants.
- Famines and epidemics.
- The succession of Elizabeth I and reversion to Protestantism in England.
Please feel free to ask any questions,
Resources others found helpful
This is a sample paper and marks scheme for year 7 11+ entry for Emanuel School.
This article attempts to shine some light on the Oxbridge Admissions process for STEM-based subjects, such as Maths, Engineering and Natural Sciences.