Primary Logic Problems
August 13, 2015
Puzzle 1- Art Life
At a recent painting competition:
- Phoebe’s rendition of a Turner was not last
- Jenny only just managed to avoid last place and came third
- The lady who painted a Monet was very successful and took first place
- Azza beat the lady who painted the Dali
- The lady who painted the Van Gogh beat Beverley.
Who painted what; who won?
Puzzle 2- Top Tunes
For Christmas, six brothers and sisters received CDs as presents. The albums were by Lady Gaga, Oasis, Justin Timberlake, Take That, Mozart and Katy Perry.
- Sam chose a CD by a solo female artist
- Chris did not chose Take That
- Alexis hates pop music but got the album she wanted
- Ozzie chose a solo singer
- Jan chose a female singer, but not Lady Gaga
- Ashton and Chris both chose CDs by bands
Who received which CD?
Puzzle 3- Ready, Steady, Slow!
At a recent snail race, the competitors had their shells painted to distinguish each racer.
The first four snails did well to finish ahead of the opposition:
- Sammy was not fourth
- The snail with a blue shell was not third
- Suzie was before the snail with a green shell
- Cedric came first
- Suzie finished before Sammy
- Super Star had a red shell
- Suzie did not have a yellow shell
What order did the snails finish? What colour were their shells?
1st: Azza painted Monet
2nd: Phoebe painted Turner
3rd: Janet painted Van Gogh
4th: Beverley painted Dali
Ashton - Take That
Sam - Lady Gaga
Chris - Oasis
Alexis - Motzart
Ozzie - Justin Timberlake
Jan - Katy Perry
Resources others found helpful
This article attempts to shine some light on the Oxbridge Admissions process for STEM-based subjects, such as Maths, Engineering and Natural Sciences.
This resource signposts and describes what we should be aiming for in our application to study medicine