I would use this as a starting point to teach a tutorial on this specific topic for this age group, but of course it requires tweaking for every pupil's indiviudal learing style and needs.
- Explain rules of rounding
- Why is it useful?
- Choosing different levels of accuracy
- Recapping place values: value represented by a digit
- Rounding to the nearest 10
- Rounding to the nearest 100 & 1000
- Rounding to nearest whole number
- Rounding to 1 and 2 decimal places
- Colouring worksheet [leave for homework]
- Thinking about boundaries – what does a rounded number represent
- Real life examples
- Multiplying and dividing by 10
- Connecting to place values
- Learning higher place values
- Practicing saying & writing numbers as words