This role is for a lead developer ambitious and capable to lead their own team. This is an exciting time to join a fun, successful and dynamic team with a passion to make a difference.
- Lead a high performance agile development team to deliver features, fix bugs, and enhance our product; producing robust, production-ready code of the highest possible standard and ensuring reliable performance at industry leading speeds.
- Manage outsourced development projects from a technical point of view including defining the specification, reviewing code and managing acceptance testing.
- Help create the roadmap of future product development, providing input on technical feasibility, design architecture and interface design; collaborating with our project managers and product owner on how best to build new features to solve problems and drive the product forward.
- Recruit and build the technical team to deliver rapid growth.
- Play a full role in the core team helping to shape and drive the business to be a leader in the tutoring industry.
- You’re comfortable working anywhere in the dev stack
- You’re a keen communicator: our tech and commercial teams work really closely together
- You have experience building web applications or you have a computer science background
- You’re super keen on learning to scale web applications: our user base is growing fast
- You have attention to detail: the email subject line of your email to apply for this role will be ‘I’m in!’. Yep, we are serious!
- You have a solid understanding of OOP & MVC
- You have in-depth knowledge of a popular programming language
- You have an understanding of SQL databases
- You’re good at building prototypes quickly
- You’re aware of Agile/Scrum methodology and keen to learn more
- You are an independent thinker: we like people who come up with new and better ways to do things, and making those things happen
- You have experience using Linux and working at the command line
- You have an awareness of application testing discipline through use of unit tests
- You have experience building responsive websites
- You may have done some tutoring yourself
- You’re interested in what tech - and the data we gather from our tech - can do to help us learn and improve our education system
- You can cook: bonus points if you can join in our lunch club and cook up a tasty feast!
Mostly PHP with some other technologies used where applicable. We host on AWS (VPC) and deploy several times weekly through CI/CD. DevOps are handled by our team. Our code base is thoroughly tested using selenium testing and unit tests. On the front end we mainly use Jquery, Bootstrap and Sass. We use Mysql data stores and leverage a service orientated architecture. Code is kept up to date and technical debt prioritised and removed. We use Git for source control. Basically, we use every means possible to keep our developers focused on improving the product and not caught up in spaghetti code.
How to apply
If this sounds like you, please email your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.