Why do you love tutoring?
I have always liked to be helpful. My children call it the Sir Galahad Dad behaviour. Providing help without being invited can be challenging or dangerous e.g. as a Dad advising his son, only wearing a T shirt, that he’s not properly dressed for the blizzard outside . . . he might receive abuse, perhaps from embarrassment. As a tutor my help has always been invited, and it is a delight to help children succeed.
Who inspired you in education?
My father - I come from a family of teachers. My father achieved excellent 11+ results and, in his last years as curriculum master of a new comprehensive, achieved English and Mathematics O levels (the old GCSEs) for every child. I use some of his methods.
What else do you get up to besides tutoring?
I am a Granddad so family is very important although mine is distributed widely across the globe. I enjoy:
· Reading - often scientific or computing material
· Conversation rather than chit chat
· Good food, wine and company
· Managing a 10-acre ancient wood to encourage dormice
· Downhill skiing too quickly for someone my age
· Bow ties
If you had a super power what would it be?
I would like to be able to give people the power to understand each other. Not only would this be a helpful tool for a tutor but it could lead to a kinder and more peaceful world.
What advice would you give to a parent on how to find a tutor?
I believe that tutoring requires a clinical approach: that is, the ‘treatment’ must be carefully matched to the ‘patient’. I suggest a similar approach to choosing a doctor - recommendations and desk-side manner. Ask to speak to parents of previous students rather than just read a reference. Be really critical on your first meeting with the tutor - can you, will you be friends with this tutor?
If you or your child needs help with any of the subjects below, then please click here to visit Tony’s profile page and book a lesson.
Subjects taught by Tony
· EFL- Degree, Advanced, Beginner, Intermediate
· Medicine - Degree, A-Level
· University Advice - Degree, GCSE, AS
· Advanced Maths - IB, A-Level, GCSE, AS
· Biology - IB, A-Level
· Chemistry - IB, A-Level, GCSE, AS
· Computing - IB, A-Level, GCSE, 11+, AS
· Maths - IB, A-Level, GCSE, Common Entrance, 11+, Primary
· Physics - IB, A-Level, GCSE, 11+, AS
· Statistics - IB, A-Level, GCSE, AS
· School Advice - A-Level, GCSE, 11+, Primary, AS
· General Science - A-Level, GCSE, Common Entrance, 11+
· ICT - A-Level, GCSE, 11+, AS
· English Literature - GCSE
· Admissions - Common Entrance, 11+, Primary
· English - Common Entrance, 11+, Primary
· Eleven Plus
· Non-verbal reasoning
· Oxbridge Admissions
· Verbal reasoning